Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Symbols/Signs




Before (first image) and After (second image).

Since it has been a long time since I used Photoshop,I decided to start from the beginning so that I wouldn't skip over anything important. I watched "Photoshop CS5 One-on-One: Fundamentals" from the very first video through the video on liquifying an image. I then watched a later video in the same series on how to adjust brightness and contrast. After opening the original photo in Photoshop, I heightened the contrast and dimmed the brightness to give it the appearance of nighttime. As far as symbolism is concerned, I find that changing the brightnes and contrast of this piece has completely changed its meaning. What at first appeared to be a woman running to escape a rainy day, turned into a woman running from the night. One is lighthearted and free, the other tense and heavy.Even though the image retains its black and white color scheme, it has acquired an entirely new emotional response.


-Libby Schinnow


No comments:

Post a Comment